Saturday, February 27, 2010

Day 3> Mom

Last night, I spent some time with some of my favorite people, sharing in great music, and partaking of some delicious brie cheese and calamari. It wasn't until later when Alex and I were documenting the food we ate all day, that I realized how decadent my evening was. I almost didn't write it down. After all, a friend ended up picking up my tab, so, really, it was a free meal. Except that I ordered it with the knowledge that I would pay for it. The very fact that I was tempted to brush it under the rug stings a little. It speaks to my very tangible understanding that it was decadence.

Six years ago we were lucky if we had good 'ol yellow cheese in the fridge on a regular basis. There were very few Friday night adventures or meals out. We just couldn't afford them. Yet it seems that we were more aware of how much we had. We felt less entitled to comfort and had a much clearer understanding of the difference between what we want and what we need. How did we get to a place where buying cool couches became more important than avoiding debt so we could have money available to help where we saw need. I don't even sit on the red couches very often! They just look cool and store more stuff we don't need.

There isn't really a moral to this story or anything, but before we have even gotten to the part were we change our habits, just being more aware of our current ones has caused us to have some difficult revelations and conversations. ouch.

No comments:

Post a Comment